Marching Band 101
Welcome to the LM Marching Panther Band!
This is the information you need to make the season awesome! We are all one big happy family and each student plays an integral part to its success. These are the things that everyone forgets or that Freshmen/new parents don’t know. It will be stressed repeatedly. If you don’t know or understand something, please ASK!
Participating in Marching Band is more than just Band class and Friday night football games. It is the unique combination of a fine art, a social club, and a sport.
- Your student will need an OHSAA sports physical. It’s due before they can start Band Camp.
- Marching Band starts mid-July and runs until mid-November. (It’s just easier to think of it this way.)
- Marching Band becomes Pep Band for basketball season, playing at the boys & girls home basketball games (late Nov. through early Feb.).
- In the Spring, the Marching Band attends the St. Patrick’s Day and Cincinnati Reds Opening Day parades in Cincinnati each spring and finishes up with the Morrow Memorial Day parade.
Marching Band season is very active with many, many events, which requires time, money and communication. Let’s break these down:
To have a thriving program, it requires volunteers. The LM Band Staff is not large enough to do everything. Everyone is busy, but if everyone helps just a little then nobody is over-taxed. There are several events to be covered, such as basketball concessions. Other volunteer opportunities include hemming uniform pants, painting lines on the practice field, Band Camp help and various other necessities. Find something YOU like to do and grab a friend to do it with you! Volunteer Opportunities
How much would you pay to know your teenager is supervised, improving his/her future and having the time of their life with high quality friends? Let’s use some round numbers to break down the fee. $250 fee ÷ 16 weeks = $16 a week to have your child educated, transported, and entertained?!? IT’S A BARGAIN!!! But wait!! There’s more!!!! You can help keep this price low!!
- Fundraising: the more butter braids we sell to others, the less we all pay! The more hot dogs basketball fans eat and more Band Festival goers buy, the less we pay! HELP OTHERS HELP THE MARCHING BAND!
- Remind. This is our primary form of communication, which is a text alert app. This is how Mrs. Smith will communicate with you. This is how you’ll be informed when to come pick up your student. When they arrive is exactly that: when they arrive. They still have to unload the trailer and put away their uniforms, instruments, etc. so don’t be in a hurry. Want to get home faster? Come help unload the trailer or put away uniforms. Many hands make light work!
- EMAIL. Right behind the use of Remind is our use of email. It is the official communication for the Little Miami Band Boosters. Please make sure the Little Miami Band Boosters have your (and your student’s) correct email address. It is imperative that we have a valid email address for you as a parent. Critical information is sent via email (email@example.com) and Mrs. Smith.
- Website - There is a lot of good information on our website (https://www.lmpantherband.com/), which is regularly updated throughout the year.
- Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/LMPantherBand/ We will share photos and videos here as well as fundraising information and other good news.
- Sign-up.com is an online tool for volunteer management and event planning. The Little Miami Band Boosters uses this website extensively for coordinating our need of volunteers across an entire Marching Band season. This includes everything from staffing the concession stand for basketball games to band camp donations and lunch preparation.
- Band Camp – Starts mid/late-July (3 weeks total)
- Pre-Camp - July 19-22, Monday -Thursday
- Percussion 5:00 pm -8:00 pm
- Week 1 – July 26-29, Monday-Thursday
- Woodwinds & Trumpets - 8:00 am -11:00 am
- Brass 12:30 pm-4:00 pm
- Percussion 5:00 pm-8:00 pm
- Week 2 – August 2-6, Monday -Friday
- Everyone 8-4*
- What to bring: A water bottle, sunscreen, music and instruments need to be brought every day!
- Pre-Camp - July 19-22, Monday -Thursday
- All students should come to the band room when they arrive at school - this is where you will leave your belongings including your instrument case then you report to the field.
- The students are expected to be on the Marching Band practice field at 8 AM - all the marching band students will be on this field. It is the field next to the tennis courts with the podium that has the sign on it that says Little Miami Marching Band.
- If the students cannot be outside due to weather they will be practicing somewhere inside the building - Band Camp takes place daily from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, regardless of the weather.
- Eat a healthy breakfast before you arrive at school.
*Band Camp Lunch – Week 2
- Lunch is provided via parent donations and supplemented by the boosters.
- All food donations should be brought to the band room on the day it was requested for. If you cannot bring it on the day requested, please let us know. We will be collecting food every morning.
- All frozen food should be defrosted in advance. We are preparing and serving out of the inside concession stand. We are limited on space and resources so having it thawed out reduces cooking time.
- Lunch is prepared and served by parent volunteers every day in the cafeteria.
- Once camp is completed, practices are Tuesday and Thursday evenings 6-8:30pm and Wednesday after school until 4:30pm. A water bottle should be brought to each practice.
- We like to hand out popsicles to the students and staff after the hot practices. Keep an eye out for sign-ups to donate via signup.com!
- In the spring there will be a few practices for parades and the Fine Arts Festival.
- There is a “Summer” and a “Formal” uniform. They will be told in advance which uniform they should wear and it will be emailed out and posted on our website.
- Formal uniforms are kept at school. They are passed out and collected before and after each event. Students will be wearing their black band t-shirt and black band shorts under their formal uniform.
- For uniform details please see the Uniform Information and Policy which can be found on our website under Resources then Marching Band Forms
- LABEL EVERYTHING!!!! Do it NOW! Even the stuff you think they’re not even going to take off. TRUST US!!!
- Dinkles = shoes. Label these too!
- TIP: buy a white/silver Sharpie and mark your last name inside your Dinkles.
- Go buy the socks and black layers now. You do not want to wait!
Events – football games, festivals, parades
- Mrs. Smith will let the students know what time to be at school and we include the times on the website and the website calendar whenever possible.
- We have access to the building (band room, uniform room and restrooms before & after each event) for students to get and put away their uniforms and instruments.
- We meet at Little Miami High School. Getting to and from LMHS is up to the family. Many families carpool.
- Buses take the Marching Band to and from away games and other events (festivals and parades), that are not held at Little Miami High School.
- Mrs. Smith will send a Remind message with what time to pick up your student (home and away events)
- Your student will want to have money for concessions.
- Parents are encouraged to attend festivals.
- Festivals do charge an entry fee and may have a parking fee.
- Festivals are a fundraiser for the host school.
- The entry can range from $5 to $12 per person.
- Come & support your student and the LM Panther Marching Band.
- Your student will want to have money for concessions during 1st or 3rd quarter break.
- The Marching Band does attend all Away football games. They may or may not perform their full show and it may be before or after the game.
Fundraising is key to having a successful program year-after-year. Everyone needs to fundraise. Some things can be donated but there are other events that REQUIRE parent participation. Fundraising cuts down on everyone’s fees and improves the overall program. Major fundraising components include:
- The concession stand for all home Basketball games (girls and boys). Signups for each game will done via SignUp.com.
- Butter-Braid Sales. This is one of our biggest fundraisers. It involves selling and delivering frozen pastries. Usually done in time for delivery prior to Thanksgiving.
- Letter Writing Campaign done during band camp. Each student is asked to bring in 10 addresses to mail a donation letter to those addresses. Please take this seriously and send the addresses of people who are likely to make a donation.
- Dine-to-Donate nights. On particular nights, the Band will receive a percentage of the receipts. All you have to do is show up, mention the group or maybe present the flyer and eat.
- Meals – LMHS PTO Craft Fair Lunch and Fine Arts Festival Pancake Breakfast
- LM Band Festival
So there you have it! It is overwhelming but your student will have the time of their life, create life-long memories, and become a better person! Who knows? You may too!